Ashley Community Housing Ltd.
Role Description & Person Specification
We are looking for volunteers to teach basic English, everyday maths, and preparing for work classes to refugees and members of the community in Sandwell and Wolverhampton with little or no English skills. The aim is to enable them to progress to further training and/or meaningful employment. Refugees in particular can find themselves isolated from society and this is often exacerbated by poor communication skills in English, so we need your help.
This opportunity is open to anyone over 18 with experience of teaching or training adults, who would like a challenging yet enjoyable volunteering experience, to gain valuable new skills, and boost their CV.
Ashley Community Housing offers:
● Coaching from experienced tutors to understand the role
● Guidance and support throughout the volunteering experience.
● Reimbursement of reasonable travel and lunch expenses.
● Valuable work experience showing employers that you are proactive and can take the initiative – employers value voluntary work on a CV
● Support from the Volunteer Co-ordinator
● Teaching resources.
Main duties and responsibilities:
● Teachers will lead classes of up to 10 adults some of whom will have little or no functional English skills.
● Under guidance you will identify or develop teaching resources which are suitable for the subject matter and particular requirements of the class.
● Depending on numbers some classes will be supported by a Volunteer Teaching Assistant, part of your role will be to direct their work within the classroom.
● Classes will take place at our training venues in Smethwick or Wolverhampton and all resources for delivery will be provided on site.
Preferred skills, knowledge and abilities
Enthusiastic and self-motivated
An understanding of issues affecting people with little or no functional English
Good listening and communication skills
An understanding of the issues affecting refugees
Reliable, punctual and organised
Confident using IT programmes and equipment ( e.g. Microsoft Powerpoint, online resources, lap top, whiteboard, projector etc.)
Good team player and able to use initiative
Experience/qualifications in teaching adults
Confident speaking in front of a group of people
Ability to speak an additional language.
Excellent spoken and written
English Imaginative and able to think on your feet
Ability to engage and manage a class of learners with mixed abilities.
Flexible and able to manage a range of demands
Above all we are looking for people who are non-judgemental, friendly, understanding, adaptable and patient.
For more information or to apply for this voluntary role please contact:
Ashley Community Housing
Victoria Park Skills Centre
By email; Lucy.AshleyCH@gmail.com
Phone; 0330 113 6608